Accident insurance: Premiums

The employer pays the premiums for accidents at work, and the employee pays the premiums for non-occupational accident cover. Premiums vary depending on the income and the type of organisation.

Who pays the premiums for the accident insurance?

Premiums for insurance covering work-related accidents and illnesses are paid by the employer. Premiums for insurance covering accidents outside work are basically paid by the employee. The employer pays the entire premium, but deducts the employee's share from their salary.

First a provisional premium is calculated and paid by the employer in advance. At the end of the year the definitive premiums for the preceding year are calculated on the basis of the annual payroll. At the same time, this is also used as the basis for calculating the new premium to be paid in advance for the following year.

How much are the premiums for insurance?

Premiums are calculated in per mille (tenths of a percent) of the pay subject to a premium*. They consist of a net premium according to the risk and various surcharges. To calculate premiums, organisations are allocated to different premium tariff categories and levels according to the type of business and circumstances.

More information on premium rates can be found in the overview under the links on this page (in German: Schweizerische Sozialversicherung – synoptische Tabelle der anwendbaren Beitrags- und Prämiensätze).

The pay subject to a premium essentially corresponds to the income used to calculate cash benefits. Pay components above the maximum insured income (currently CHF 148,200) do not count.

Last modification 20.08.2019

Top of page


Federal Office of Public Health FOPH
Insurance Supervision Division
Section Accident Insurance, Accident Prevention and Military Insurance
Schwarzenburgstrasse 157
3003 Berne
Tel. +41 58 462 21 11

Print contact