Health insurance: Cross-border commuters working in Switzerland

In general, persons resident abroad who work in Switzerland are required to take out Swiss health insurance. Some exceptions apply, depending on the employee’s country of residence and nationality. 

Cross-border commuters from an EU-/EFTA-country or UK – Insurance at place of employment

Under the Swiss-EU Agreement on the free movement of persons, the EFTA Convention and the new social security Agreement with the United Kingdom, the requirement to obtain health insurance is based on the place-of-work principle. Anyone working in Switzerland, as well as non-working family members, is required to take out Swiss health insurance.

Beginning and end of compulsory health insurance

Cross-border commuters from EU/EFTA/UK who hold a G permit are subject to compulsory health insurance from the date their employment contract begins. They have three months in which to register with a Swiss health insurer. If they fail to do so, they can be automatically assigned to a health insurer; if the delay is not justifiable, they will be liable to a premium surcharge for late registration. In this case, they will be required to cover the costs of any medical treatment received prior to enrolment themselves.

The requirement for compulsory health insurance ends when the employment contract ends.

Option of obtaining insurance in country of residence

Switzerland has, however, concluded agreements with its neighbouring countries (Germany, Austria, France and Italy) so that persons with EU-citizenship living in these countries have the option of taking out health insurance in their country of residence. For more details, see the table below (in German): Compulsory health insurance requirements applicable to persons resident in an EU-/EFTA-country or in United Kingdom (UK).
Residents of these countries who do not wish to take out Swiss health insurance must submit an application for exemption to the relevant cantonal authority (see list below) within three months after starting work.

In March 2015, the Federal Supreme Court issued a ruling on the exercise of this option in the area of health insurance. According to the ruling, the so-called tacit exercise of this option does not have legal force. Cross-border commuters who have previously been insured abroad rather than in Switzerland and who have not submitted a formal application for exemption from compulsory insurance may take out insurance in Switzerland under the KVG. They must obtain confirmation from the relevant authority in the canton where they work that they have not yet exercised this option with legal force. On presenting this confirmation, they will be enrolled by the Swiss health insurer (see information letter dated 20 April 2015 below).  

Procedure for exercising the option for France

Cross-border commuters who are insured in France and have this option available must, within 3 months, complete the “Choice of health insurance system” form (see below) and return it, signed by the French Caisse primaire d’assurance-maladie (CPAM), to the relevant authority in the canton where they work. Persons who are insured, and continue to work, in Switzerland but who move to France and wish to obtain health insurance there must, without delay, send a copy of this form, signed by the CPAM, to the Swiss health insurer, so that their insurance in Switzerland can be terminated.

The procedure for exercising this option for France is governed by the agreement of 7 July 2016 between Switzerland and France (see the agreement below, together with the information letter of 11 July 2016 and the FAQ).

Cross-border commuters from a country outside EU/EFTA/UK  

Cross-border commuters (G permit holders) from a country outside EU/EFTA/UK, as well as non-working family members, can apply to be subject to Swiss health insurance. The application must be submitted within three months after the G permit becomes valid. If this deadline is missed, insurance cover begins on the date of enrolment.

Cover ends when employment in Switzerland ceases, the G permit is revoked or expires, or if the insured person dies or opts to be no longer subject to Swiss health insurance. In this last case, a new application can only be submitted in special circumstances.

Family members of Italian cross-border commuters

Family members (non-working) of cross-border commuters residing in Italy must be insured either in Switzerland or in Italy, depending on the circumstances (see below the information of the canton of Ticino, in Italian).

Further information

EU/EFTA/UK premiums and premium subsidies

Persons insured in Switzerland pay the EU/EFTA/UK premiums applicable for their country of residence. Those on low incomes are entitled to premium subsidies.

Health insurance: Co-payment for persons insured in Switzerland

For persons insured in Switzerland, the co-payment for treatment abroad varies, depending on the country where treatment is received.

Treatment abroad for policyholders resident abroad

Persons insured in Switzerland and resident abroad are entitled to be treated in the country where they are staying or residing, or in Switzerland.

Last modification 24.04.2024

Top of page


Federal Office of Public Health FOPH
Health and Accident Insurance Directorate
Legal Supervision of Health Insurance Section
Schwarzenburgstrasse 157
3003 Bern

Print contact