The FOPH contributed to the health equity and integration of Switzerland’s migrant population through the National Programme on Migration and Health. The programme was concluded at the end of 2017 but the main measures have been integrated in the FOPH’s tasks and the federal government’s strategies and are being continued.
Some sections of the migrant population living in Switzerland face more health risks than the indigenous population. Through the National Programme on Migration and Health, the federal government aimed to improve the health literacy of Switzerland’s migrant population and support healthcare professionals in dealing with patients from different backgrounds.
The programme promoted
- migrant-friendly health promotion and prevention;
- equitable access to healthcare;
- comprehension between healthcare professionals and foreign language-speaking patients;
- basic and further training of healthcare professionals on managing diversity;
- research into disadvantaged groups in the migrant population.
The Programme on Migration and Health served as a national umbrella for various activities run by the cantons and a wide range of NGOs from 2002. The programme’s principal measures have been integrated in the FOPH’s tasks and the federal government’s strategies since 2018. The Federal Council took note of this change on 26 April 2017. The most important measures in the fields of health literacy and health information are being continued. The same applies to improving the skills of healthcare professionals in dealing with migrants and promoting community interpreting in healthcare. These measures are also to be further developed to facilitate better access to the healthcare system for other disadvantaged groups.
Further information can be found below.
- Factsheet Programme Migration and Health (PDF, 4 MB, 16.12.2019)
- National Programme on Migration and Health 2014-2017 (PDF, 194 kB, 16.12.2019)
- Migration and Public Health 2008-2013 (PDF, 280 kB, 16.12.2019)
- Migration and Public Health 2002-2006 (PDF, 118 kB, 16.12.2019)
- Poverty and Social Exclusion (PDF, 1 MB, 16.12.2019)
- Migration Mainstreaming (PDF, 32 kB, 16.12.2019)
Last modification 16.12.2019