The FOPH is committed to combating female genital mutilation (FGM) and is supporting the awareness, advice and prevention activities of the Network against Female Genital Cutting Switzerland since 2016.
There are around 22'400 women and girls living in Switzerland who have been affected by female genital mutilation or are at risk of being cut. Female genital mutilation is a gross violation of physical integrity and breaches national and international law. Awareness and prevention work is often closely linked to the medical treatment of victims. Medical professionals must therefore be able to spot and appropriately treat the disorders associated with FGM.
Information platform against FGM
The FOPH and the State Secretariat for Migration are supporting the awareness, advice and prevention activities of the Network against Female Genital Cutting Switzerland since 2016. The network is run by Caritas Switzerland, Sexual Health Switzerland and the Swiss Centre of Expertise in Human Rights. It also runs a web platform against FGM, which offers information and support in two areas: one on a specialist site for specialists and one on a community site for victims and those at risk.
Reports and studies on FGM
The FOPH has been involved in prevention, awareness and networking activities against female genital mutilation since 2003 and has supported the efforts of various organisations to combat FGM. The report drawn up in response to the motion Bernasconi 05.3235 «Female genital mutilation. Awareness and prevention measures» was presented in 2015 and defined the procedure in this area.
In 2020, the Federal Council approved the report on postulate Rickli 18.3551 "Measures against female circumcision". The focus continues to be on the establishment of regional counseling centers, intensive prevention work and closer cooperation between all actors involved.
- FGM in der Schweiz (PDF, 552 kB, 09.11.2016)Weibliche Genitalverstümmelung in der Schweiz. Risiko, Vorkommen, Handlungsempfehlungen.
- Massnahmen gegen FGM (PDF, 1 MB, 09.11.2016)Bestandesaufnahme: Massnahmen gegen weibliche Genitalverstümmelung in der Schweiz.
- Handlungsempfehlungen gegen FGM (PDF, 317 kB, 01.03.2013)Literaturreview: Bestehende Handlungsempfehlungen im Bereich FGM.
- Rechtsstudie zu FGM (PDF, 381 kB, 01.08.2014)Rechtliche Bestimmungen gegen FGM.
- Versorgung und Schutz FGM (PDF, 831 kB, 01.03.2014)Best Practices: Prävention, Versorgung, Schutz und Intervention betr. FGM.
- Résumé Soins et protection MGF (PDF, 70 kB, 01.04.2014)
Female genital mutilation (FGM) is a gross violation of physical integrity and violates international and national law. Since July 2012, an explicit penal provision against FGM has been in force in Switzerland (Art. 124).
Last modification 10.08.2021