Switzerland takes the threat of a flu pandemic very seriously and makes preparations on both the federal and cantonal level. However, it is important for every single person to be aware of the measures that have to be taken to protect the public.
Preparations are designed to protect the public as effectively as possible from the spread of disease. Strategies for preventing and combating a flu pandemic are summarised in the Swiss Influenza Pandemic Plan.
Preventing and tackling a flu pandemic.
The Swiss Influenza Pandemic Plan is updated regularly in line with the international situation, changes on the national and cantonal level and the latest scientific findings.
The Swiss Influenza Pandemic Plan is based on the following strategic principles:
- Implementing health measures to control human sources of infection and slow the spread
- Assuring healthcare
- Assuring the provision of antiviral drugs, antibiotics and specific vaccinations
- In the event of a pandemic vaccinating those who wish to be
- Maintaining social and economic life
- Informing and raising the awareness of medical personnel, authorities and the public
It’s important to mobilise the public
The authorities can put a strategy in place to prevent and combat a flu pandemic. But the success of this strategy largely depends on whether each individual knows the right thing to do. It’s important to prepare yourself for a pandemic.
Last modification 31.08.2018
Federal Office of Public Health FOPH
Prevention and Healthcare Provision Directorate
Communicable Diseases Division
Tel. +41 58 463 87 06