We publish regular reports on mobility, the monitoring of precautionary measures, the economic situation, the implementation of measures, and the wellbeing of members of the public. Monitoring is designed to provide further information of relevance to the progression of the pandemic in addition to the epidemiological data.
The National Emergency Operations Centre’s Reporting and Situation Centre periodically evaluates data on the Swiss population’s mobility behaviour which is obtained from the following sources: Swisscom, Swiss Federal Railways (SBB) and the Federal Office of Civil Aviation (FOCA).
Cantonal monitoring of implementation of precautionary measures
Each week the cantons collect monitoring data on the implementation of precautionary measures on behalf of the FOPH. The cantons transmit the monitoring data collected to the National Emergency Operations Centre, which make it available to the FOPH in consolidated form.
Summary of cantonal inspections of precautionary measures and figures on repetitive testing
Once a month, responses on the number of inspections and issues with precautionary measures in businesses and establishments are gathered and published in summary form by canton and calendar week. The cantons also regularly gather figures and information on repetitive testing.
It is not possible to compare cantons directly because there are major differences between them in terms of geographical area, number of businesses, population structure, the nature of the various economic sectors, and the way inspections and the gathering of information are organised.
Total summary 2020
You will find information on Switzerland’s economic situation under Economic forecasts on the SECO website.
Implementation of the measures and the health and wellbeing of the population
The FOPH is observing how members of the public are putting the measures to contain the coronavirus into practice, and how these measures are affecting their health and lives, among other things via the following two projects:
The Covid Norms project run by the University of Zurich (UZH) is examining among other things the preventive behaviour of the population in Switzerland. It shows how broadly the measures are being implement and the extent to which they are accepted by members of the public.
The project employs various survey tools, co-financed by the FOPH and in some cases drawing on its expertise, to find out about people’s perceptions and attitudes. The findings are published on the Covid Norms website.
Covid-19 Social Monitor
Since the beginning of the pandemic the Covid-19 Social Monitor run by the ZHAW Zurich University of Applied Sciences has been gathering data on an ongoing basis:
- on people’s wellbeing
- on people’s state of physical and mental health
- on people’s health related behaviours
- and on the employment situation among members of the Swiss population.
The FOPH is co-funding the project and providing expertise. For information on the findings, visit the ZHAW website.
Monitoring of COVID-19 in Swiss hospitals
The Covid-19 Hospital Based Surveillance system (CH-SUR for short), funded by the FOPH, has been in existence since March 2020. CH-SUR is a monitoring system in which selected Swiss hospitals voluntarily document the development of COVID-19 hospitalisations. Monitoring will be continued in 2021.
A summary of the information collected in CH-SUR up to mid-October was published in the FOPH’s Bulletin. You will find this in the document CH-SUR: Monitoring of COVID-19 in Swiss hospitals (in German (PDF, 235 kB, 10.12.2020), in French (PDF, 234 kB, 10.12.2020) or in Italian (PDF, 486 kB, 10.12.2020)).
Implementation-monitoring reports to date, from June to August 2020
- COVID-19 implementation monitoring: Stage 2 of easing protective measures, 1st report (in German) (PDF, 1 MB, 19.06.2020)
- COVID-19 implementation monitoring: Stage 2 of easing protective measures, 2nd report (in German) (PDF, 1 MB, 19.06.2020)
- COVID-19 implementation monitoring: Stage 2 of easing protective measures, Executive Summary (in German) (PDF, 47 kB, 11.07.2020)
- COVID-19 implementation monitoring: Stage 3 of easing protective measures, 3rd report (in German) (PDF, 1 MB, 13.07.2020)
- COVID-19 implementation monitoring: Stage 3 of easing protective measures, Executive Summary (in German) (PDF, 48 kB, 11.07.2020)
- COVID-19 implementation monitoring: 4th report (in German) (PDF, 2 MB, 11.07.2020)
- COVID-19 implementation monitoring: Executive Summary (in German) (PDF, 80 kB, 11.07.2020)
Last modification 16.09.2021