There is a risk of infection with the coronavirus in almost all the regions of the world. If you still wish to travel, it’s best to check directly with the embassy of the destination country to see what restrictions apply.
Information on travelling abroad
When planning trips abroad, note the list of countries with virus variants of concern. The Federal Council recommends you do not travel to these countries. In addition, it is generally recommended to get vaccinated before travelling abroad.
Please also bear in mind the following points:
- When abroad, continue to follow the rules on hygiene and social distancing. This is the best way to protect yourself and others against coronavirus infection.
- Be aware what rules apply on your return to Switzerland. You will find information on the Entering Switzerland site.
- Find out about the restrictions and requirements in your destination country.
- Do not travel if you feel ill or have individual symptoms indicative of an infection with the coronavirus. What should you do instead? You’ll find information on the Isolation and quarantine page.
- Are you returning to Switzerland after your stay abroad? We recommend that you get tested. This applies even if you have no symptoms. You can find more information on the page Test.
Travelling with the COVID certificate
Are you planning to travel abroad? If so, be sure not to forget your COVID certificate and your ID card or passport. The Swiss COVID certificate is recognised by EU/EFTA states and thus facilitates your entry into these countries. However, each country determines its own entry rules. You should therefore obtain information about the entry requirements on the official website of your destination country before every trip. Further information can be found on the page COVID certificate.
Restrictions and requirements in the destination country
Before travelling, always check directly with the embassy or consulate of your destination country to find out what restrictions are in place due to the novel coronavirus. These can differ from country to country and change at very short notice. The following restrictions and requirements are possible:
- Changed entry rules, through to border closures
- Requirements before entry (e.g. filling out the entry form of the destination country or bringing a negative test result)
- Measures upon entering the country (e.g. mandatory quarantine in the destination country)
- Measures within the destination country (e.g. compulsory wearing of face masks and shop closures)
Travel restrictions imposed by the different countries may be tightened again at short notice depending on the epidemiological situation, and transport connections scaled down again. Before booking a trip, consult your travel agent and/or your travel insurer to find out what cover they offer.
COVID-19 statistics worldwide
You will find figures for COVID-19:
- On our website covid19.admin.ch. The case numbers published there are based on international data sources (WHO and OWID). These data are checked and processed by us.
- On the World Health Organisation (WHO) website
- On the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) website.
Last modification 02.08.2021