There is a risk of infection with the coronavirus in almost all the regions of the world. The Federal Council recommends refraining from non-essential travel. If you travel despite this, it’s best to check directly with the destination country.
Information on travelling abroad
The federal government recommends refraining from non-essential travel. If you are nevertheless planning to travel, please observe the following:
- When abroad, continue to follow the rules on hygiene and social distancing. This is the best way to protect yourself and others against infection by the novel coronavirus.
- Be aware what rules apply on your return to Switzerland. You will find information on this on the Entering Switzerland site. For example, if your destination country is on the FOPH list of risk countries, you must go into quarantine upon your return. It is not the classification of the destination country when you leave Switzerland that is decisive for mandatory quarantine, but its classification upon your return.
- Do not travel if you feel ill or have individual symptoms indicative of an infection with the novel coronavirus. Instead, stay at home and perform the coronavirus check or phone your doctor.
Restrictions and requirements in the destination country
Before travelling, always check directly with the embassy or consulate of your destination country to find out what restrictions are in place due to the novel coronavirus. These can differ from country to country and change at very short notice. The following restrictions and requirements are possible:
- Changed entry rules, through to border closures
- Requirements before entry (e.g. filling out the entry form of the destination country or bringing a negative test result)
- Measures upon entering the country (e.g. mandatory quarantine in the destination country)
- Measures within the destination country (e.g. compulsory wearing of face masks and shop closures)
Travel restrictions imposed by the different countries may be tightened again at short notice depending on the epidemiological situation, and transport connections scaled down again. Before booking a trip, consult your travel agent and/or your travel insurer to find out what cover they offer.
COVID-19 statistics worldwide
You will find figures for COVID-19:
- On our website covid19.admin.ch. The case numbers published there are based on international data sources (WHO and OWID). These data are checked and processed by us.
- On the World Health Organisation (WHO) website
- On the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) website.
Last modification 08.02.2021