Radon concentrations can be measured simply and inexpensively using dosimeters. The FOPH publishes a list of approved measurement services.
Carry out the radon-check in order to determine the urgency for a radon measurement in your building
To carry out a recognised measurement of radon levels, you should contact one of the measurement services, listed below:
Only these services ensure compliance with the requirements of a recognised radon measurement. After the dosimeter has been returned to the measurement service the readings will be analysed and a written report of the results will be sent back to you. The analysis of the dosimeter results is included in the price.
Some cantons (without Zürich) offer radon measurements at no charge. You can contact the relevant cantonal authorities in charge of matters relating to radon. Their contact details are shown below.
Recommendations for radon measurements in dwellings
- Measurements should be made in at least two separate, frequently-occupied living spaces (e.g. living room, bedroom, children’s room).
- Preferred spaces are those that are on the lowest occupied floor or that are in direct contact with the ground.
- Very draughty or very damp locations should be avoided.
- We recommend an additional measurement in basements in a space with a potentially high radon level, for example in a cellar with a natural floor.
- The measurement should be made during the heating period as the radon concentration is usually higher in this season.
- PSI Report 2016 (in German) (PDF, 974 kB, 06.09.2016)
- PSI Report 2014 (in German) (PDF, 698 kB, 02.06.2015)
- PSI Report 2012 (in German) (PDF, 362 kB, 02.11.2012)
- PSI Report 2010 (in German) (PDF, 1 MB, 23.03.2011)
- PSI Report 2008 (in German) (PDF, 723 kB, 24.03.2011)
- PSI Report 2006 (in German) (PDF, 272 kB, 28.03.2011)
- PSI Report 2005 (in German) (PDF, 256 kB, 28.03.2011)
- PSI Report 2004 (in German) (PDF, 266 kB, 28.03.2011)
- PSI Report 2003 (in German) (PDF, 255 kB, 28.03.2011)
- PSI Report 2002 (in German) (PDF, 307 kB, 28.03.2011)
- PSI Report 2001 (in German) (PDF, 133 kB, 28.03.2011)
- PSI Report 2000 (in German) (PDF, 384 kB, 28.03.2011)
- PSI Report 1999 (in German) (PDF, 1 MB, 28.03.2011)
- PSI Report 1998 (in German) (PDF, 577 kB, 28.03.2011)
- PSI Report 1997 (in German) (PDF, 618 kB, 28.03.2011)
Radon measurement and evaluation (PDF, 2 MB, 01.11.2019)Note: This brochure is based on the 1994 Radiological Protection Ordinance, which has since been amended. Since 2018 a new reference level of 300 Bq/m3 has applied for the concentration of radon gas in occupied buildings. The radon map of Switzerland has been revised on this basis. Not only this, but accredited radon measurements now have to be conducted in accordance with predefined measurement protocols.
Last modification 08.12.2022
Federal Office of Public Health FOPH
Division of Radiological
Radiological Risk Section
Tel. +41 58 464 68 80