Research provides the FOPH with knowledge that is useful for guiding its decisions and practices and which it needs to fulfil its tasks.
Research provides the FOPH with the necessary knowledge for guiding its decisions and practices. It is conducted primarily in the form of federal policy research (federal government research).
Federal policy research in the FOPH
In addition to monitoring and evaluation, federal policy research in the FOPH is aimed at providing knowledge to be used in policy and strategy development and also in the implementation of measures in the field of health.
A sound knowledge base is to be created for the provision of optimum healthcare and preventive healthcare for the population at an affordable cost.
In the FOPH, federal policy research is focused on issues relating to the health protection of the population, to prevention and health promotion and to the provision of healthcare. Federal policy research in the FOPH primarily involves commissioned research and contributions to third parties. The research is practically oriented and generally interdisciplinary in nature.
Research priorities in the policy area of health 2021-2024
The main focus of research up until 2024 for the policy area of health is:
- federal policy research in the fields of communicable and non-communicable diseases, food safety, addiction and biomedicine, as well as Health Technology Assessment. See under «Documents» at the bottom of the page.
- National Research Programmes "Smarter Health Care" (NRP 74), "Antimicrobial Resistance" (NFP 72) and "Covid-19" (NRP 78)
- Launch of a National Health Study (> Humanbiomonitoring)
- the "Cohort Studies" that are supported by the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF), especially in the field of transplantation and HIV/AIDS
- independent clinical research (KLIF), supported by the SNSF
The ARAMIS Information System
The ARAMIS information system contains information on research, development and evaluation projects in the Swiss Federal Administration. The Swiss government and parliament intend this system to provide interested parties with information on the research work conducted, commissioned or co-financed by the Confederation, and to improve coordination and create transparency.
Concept «Strengthening health services research in Switzerland», 2014 (PDF, 1 MB, 13.03.2014)(in German, with summaries in French and English)
Last modification 01.06.2021