Research provides the FOPH with knowledge that is useful for guiding its decisions and practices and which it needs to fulfil its tasks.
Research provides the FOPH with the necessary knowledge for guiding its decisions and practices. It is conducted primarily in the form of federal policy research (federal government research).
Federal policy research in the FOPH
In addition to monitoring and evaluation, federal policy research in the FOPH is aimed at providing knowledge to be used in policy and strategy development and also in the implementation of measures in the field of health.
A sound knowledge base is to be created for the provision of optimum healthcare and preventive healthcare for the population at an affordable cost.
In the FOPH, federal policy research is focused on issues relating to the health protection of the population, to prevention and health promotion and to the provision of healthcare. Federal policy research in the FOPH primarily involves commissioned research and contributions to third parties. The research is practically oriented and generally interdisciplinary in nature.
Research priorities in the policy area of health 2017–2020
The main focus of research up until 2020 for the policy area of health is:
- federal policy research in the fields of communicable and non-communicable diseases, food safety, addiction and biomedicine. See under «Documents» at the bottom of the page.
- Evaluation of the impact of HIA revision in the field of hospital funding on behalf of the Federal Council
- Research programmes “Interprofessionalism in healthcare” and “Support and relief for relatives providing care” as per the Decision of the Federal Council of 4 March 2016
- National Research Programmes "Smarter Health Care" (NRP 74) and "Antimicrobial Resistance" (NFP 72)
- the "Cohort Studies" in the field of transplantation, HIV/AIDS and cardiopulmonary health in older people, which receive support from the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF) as per its evaluation procedure
- independent clinical research (KLIF), supported by the SNSF
The ARAMIS Information System
The ARAMIS information system contains information on research, development and evaluation projects in the Swiss Federal Administration. The Swiss government and parliament intend this system to provide interested parties with information on the research work funded or conducted by the Confederation, and to improve coordination and create transparency.
Concept «Strengthening health services research in Switzerland», 2014 (PDF, 1 MB, 13.03.2014)(in German, with summaries in French and English)
Last modification 30.07.2020