Federal Office of Public Health FOPH
The overriding aim of the FOPH is to promote and maintain the good health of all people living in Switzerland.
On the one hand, it seeks to promote people’s awareness and thereby enable them to take responsibility for their own health. On the other, it wants a general and consistent improvement of everyone’s health through health promotion, disease prevention and health protection campaigns and the curing of illnesses and alleviation of suffering caused by disease and accidents.
In order to achieve these aims, the FOPH deals with issues such as
- epidemiology and infectious diseases,
- substance abuse and drug prevention,
- food safety,
- noise and radiation protection,
- assessment and checks on chemicals and toxic products,
- stem cell research and bioterrorism, and
- health and accident insurance.